Thinking out Loud…

…and nothing more. Just some haphazard thoughts that were there in my mind, ricocheting about, where better than my own blog to give them a form. If you (the reader) are too incensed, or offended (trust me, You are the last thing on my mind) please don’t leave a comment or else your wrath may get through and burn my new slippers.

So, most of us may have taken Biology (hey, don’t flinch, basic Biology) in school? I mean they might have taught us about brains and stuff. Of course, we remember the “stuff” more, but since I have read Biology closely and with a “maverick” mind (meaning on request or may be some other post), I have noticed one small fact: Generally, men have more neurones in their brain as compared to women. Grey matter content (neurones) in males is 55.4% and in females, 51% .

Right so what’s a neurone? It is simply defined as the structural and functional unit of brain. Without going into much of a Biology class, let me tell you, that you understand or perceive things (viz. the five senses, can you name them? Without Google-ing?) is transmitted as information to the brain and your reactions from the brain, all via neurones.

Now, to get back to the thing at hand, the number of neurones in an individual brain is not fixed. But this is more or less the average number. A female human brain is lighter and smaller too.

So essentially this is one reason why men claim to be smarter than women. Biological proof.

So agree the boys too, in class. Just like you did. As soon as the statement is made, they sit up, look around, puff out their chests and give an “oh yeah, I am superior” look. (Otherwise they do doubt themselves, poor guys, still young)

So women have a million (or so) less neurones or brain cells.

So are women less smart? YES.

Because if women had brain cells equal to that of a man then-

• Women already compete with men in every sphere, what would have the men done?
  • Women, nowadays juggle career and home with ease. (Try asking a man to do it) What will be left if women started doing even more than this?
  • Women still want (or, is it need?) a man and of course, to change bulbs, lift the heavy objects, carry the bags (I personally can read maps very well so, I am leaving that out) and a few other things that a machine can’t do. Let’s not change that status-quo.
  • Even that dumb-est woman can leave a man mouth-hanging-open, so let’s not add extra brains (or grey matter) to that, and save the poor guy.
  • And the biggest reason of all: Women are already not understood by men, let’s not give them more headaches.

[A lot have been crammed already into the above sentences, let’s not do more.]

So, women need to be less smart, in order to be an equal partner of some semblance to men, otherwise, men would be intimidated by them, without exception this time.

And as for the biology, I think neurones (or grey matter) should be mentioned according to the number that are put to use. For men, I think the synapses (the connections between neurones) are very less.

Of course, I make allowance for the fact that even with less grey matter women are much more complex whereas men are all simple, a ton

N.B. I am a woman (or girl, whatever) who is in love with a wonderful man, who loves her back too (given my sunny disposition, it’s not that easy). So kindly understand, for a woman who thinks the sun rises and keeps rising in her man, I have nothing against any gender (read: men) but being an pursuer of science I’m just making an “detached” scientific observation.

This is just an observation, loopholes, if any, will be closed later. (Right now I am in a hurry, going out to save the world)

I think everyone who read this post will be interested in the continustion, rather the next part to the post : There’s A Reason…

About Guria

An Artist in Science: A Misfit 'cause I choose to be one. "Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform" And a Maverick, because, I'm... umm... brilliant?
This entry was posted in Laughs, Observer, Sarcasm. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Thinking out Loud…

1. 😦 waaaaaaaaaaa
    Btw, dont genes and the environment play a role here? Genes are responsible for the brain cells right?

2. vEnKy says:

You see people say that Albert Einstein is the most intelligent human to walk the face of this earth as far as we know. And we say he used only a fraction of his brain.

Women are better at tapping their potential than women. We have a hell a lot of distractions and that's where we lose out. What to do we are built that way.

Another thing i want to say is you cant generalise a group as brilliant because individuals are brilliant, groups aren't. I have seen super dumb women and men of equal amounts.

3. i know you saved the world for I am still alive!

you took me back to highschool biology and the whole gender debate.

Cute post!

4. Antarman says:

I dont believe in gender biased qualifications…we are different and good and bad in different areas and things.

5. Guria says:

Ashwini… Ssshhh!!! 😀

Venky

Yaar! Generalisation! And generalisation only!! And I didn't say anything about brilliant, You did!! 😀

Ro,

I'll tell you later why I wrote this post. It's a funny reason!! 😛

Love, Guria.

6. Paritosh says:

Women already compete with men in every sphere, what would have the men done?
    Well, women took some 300,000 years to arrive here. Not bad with a deficit of a paltry million neurons.

And men help them out with all the things that are traditionally meant for women.
    I don't understand why is there so much hypocrisy about women juggling between her career and her household. AFAIK all the working couples share the household work. Why is there a sense of pride in women about their work and we men,in all our chivalry and modesty, go around like nothing has ever changed.

Women still want (or, is it need?) a man and of course, to change bulbs, lift the heavy objects, carry the bags (I personally can read maps very well so, I am leaving that out) and a few other things that a machine can't do. Let's not change that status-quo.
    Does wieght lifting require neurons?

Even that dumb-est woman can leave a man mouth-hanging-open, so let's not add extra brains (or grey matter) to that, and save the poor guy.
    Now this is a different proposition altogether. 😉

And the biggest reason of all: Women are already not understood by men, let's not give them more headaches.
    This is the wierdest notion I have come accross in women.
    Damn it gals! We men are not perplexed about how intelligent you are. We are perplexed about how can you act so stupid. Why do you require to check out all the shades of lipstick when you came out of home saying you need a red one (and end up buying a green)?

7. Yellow Tulip says:

he he:)…jus was fun reading it girl:)…reminded me of high school days:)…good one:)

8. Neha says:

btw, I found this post hilarious…why the debate is going on about gender difference? wish they had taken your lines “If you (the reader) are too incensed, or offended (trust me, You are the last thing on my mind) please don't leave a comment or else your wrath may get through and burn my new slippers” seriously and preferred not to comment…

9. This was really funny! Found myself LOL…:D

10. Guria says:

Hi Paritosh

Thanks for the comment! 🙂

Err… I don't know about other countries but in India it didn't take women 30o,000 years. Do you know in the time of Vedas and Upanishads, women and men had equal rights (only time I ever heard :P) and great women in those times too? Plus, women, by the norms of society, were made to mind houses only, but even then they have tried coming out of those shackles. If you want examples I can give them to you. 🙂

Plus, even if women took 300,000 years, men didn't go that far in those years, after all the women did catch up! 😉

And as for juggling career and home, I concede men and women share responsibility, but where they don't, it's mostly the women who manage homes (in general cases) And also I am glad to say the scenario is changing.

Yes, anything and everything requires the brain or neurones.

What you don't understand also comes across as stupid, you know. Of course, men are not at all choosy, women are refined. Women want all their choices before choosing. Any problem? 😀

Cheers, Guria ^_^

P.S. you should have read my first para more closely! 😉

11. Guria says:

Yellow Tulip

Neha

Psych Babbler

Girls, do wait. It's going to be even more funny. Watch for an update on the post.

There's a reason why I chose this sensitive topic! ;D

Love, Guria.

12. Srivatsan says:

Women are hardworking,dedicated and they can do any kind of work.
    Men cannot compete with women in all ages.Before,women were kept under jail-like,that doesn't mean they can't do heavy work.They can do any physical and mental work.

13. Guria says:

Whoa Srivatsan!

I am scared. Where did that come from?!!! 😀

Are you kidding? Or honestly honest?? 😀

Whatever, there's gonna be an update on the post. As I said before there's a reason behind me writing on this sensitive issue.

Cheers, Guria.

14. Singh Amit says:

Nice post.. 🙂
    well, if grey matter content in the brain of men is more than women..then …in general, I think..women are more intuitive( right brain ) than Men..

So I feel, men and women are different, but perfect in their own unique way… 🙂

Cheers!!

15. Neha says:

you are one wicked girl…I have been given this title by few of the bloggers cos of my sarcastic comments on people's blog…but I m happy happy sharing it with u…:D now it's upto u whether u wanna publish this or not…tc :)))

16. Paritosh says:

We were waiting for our sweethearts. To let them finish their makeup. Do you have any idea how much time is wasted by us guys waiting for our fair maidens?

but where they don't, it's mostly the women who manage homes

Can't put a finger on it, but I have a nagging feeling that you are wrong. Don't believe me? I have two names for you : Rakhi Sawant and Elesh. 😉

Of course, men are not at all choosy

Totally agree. Did you know, most men are color blind? I mean what is the difference between green and duck egg, or peach and pink. All seem the same to us. We like to see the world in bold, primary colors.

Women want all their choices before choosing. Any problem?

Of course we have problems, or rather, lets call them issues, shall we.

Have you ever noticed a slight nervousness in your beau when you cheekily ask him, “Honey, isn't this azure top better than that sky blue one?”? He hesitates, weighs his options, decides upon the consequences of giving his opinion and then blurts out, “Whatever you say sweetheart”.

Do you know how much intelligence is lost in answering such questions? These precious seconds could have changed the world, found out the unified theory, found out the warp drive. But no… they will be utilized in answering such inconsequential questions.

you should have read my first para more closely

I did. But then I never leave a chance to have a good debate about gender (in)equality. 🙂

17. Mustaf says:

Hi:)

Even though I have read your first para more closely, but still could not help myself from commenting:(

After reading the post I am quite confused and that's why the comment.

1>Is this post about just pouring some random thoghts of your mind?

2>Are you just sarcastically making some comparison?

3>Are you srsly trying to compare between the 2 genders with a sarcastic wrapper around it 😛

I ama even more confused now, may be I am an exception with much lesser neurones than the average.what do u say :D?

18. @ Sreya – I wanted to write a comparison just like (or may be with different parameter) about men and women. just not found the time to do it.. I love what you've written.. I think we are different from them totally. Here are few more things to add on to your list:( this is for you too, Paritosh)

1. Women have more of white matter which helps us to be more hyper active even when we are sleeping.

2. Women are more of a multi-skilled person and women remember things better than men.

3. Women don't like to cry more but we are made of tear glands which are more in us than men.( its not that we are likely to cry all the time.)

4. Women think about value, sharing and are more about people and their feelings unlike(clearing my throat) men.

Last but not the least WE ARE NOT STUPID for god's sake and people who think we are not very bright either.

This is not to hurt anyone but to prove the point of sreya and myself.. I'll be waiting for your next update on this

19. HI Guria,

well composed and thanks for spending time and posting this one..

I agree with u at the points where u did mention about the chances of women over men, if we had more neurons number..:)

well,, will wait for the update ..

Thanks

20. @venky
    “Women are better at tapping their potential than women”
    what does it mean boy?

@Amit
    You are an idealist

@G
    I saw Pinjar yesterday…
    so I know women are “stronger” than…
    I know I am being off the topic but I ardently believe that intelligence is something more than grey cells or genes….

RSV aka RAHUL SHARMA

21. Guria says:

All comments are noted, and will be addressed at proper date and time. 😀

Neha

Girl, I am publishing the last comment of yours for now, the comment in between the two published till now, will be posted later for the suspense! 🙂
    Because it closely resembles the reason why I wrote the post! Well, you know it already! 😉

Love, G.

22. Vishnu says:

i feel cooking is the major part of managing a home.. n so jus for the record.. men are better cooks than women..
    n cmon women can do physical stuff.. its jus they are lazy..;)..
    totally agree with the biggest reason.. reading it itself gives me a headache..

23. the human with the highest IQ right now is a women …read it somewhere 🙂

24. Aditya says:

I read this post twice. No, not because I felt offended o didnt understand, but because your post was a double toast-it was very serious and very funny at the same time.

and the finishing touch-//I have nothing against any gender (read: men) but being an pursuer of science I'm just making an “detached” scientific observation.//- was a killer line!

Super stuff guria! 🙂

25. Nightwing says:

nice reading it coz of the witty manner in which it's written but woefully lacking in scientific facts….

women already compete equally with men???
    my class has 50 guys 10 girls….. 😛

women juggle careers and home??
    so do many men…ask all the single dads out there..and there are quite a few…. 😛

men don't understand women??
    that's coz women are illogical and irrational and men are by default creatures of logic and science… 😛 😛

even the dumbest women can leave a man gaping???yeah…with her stupidness….try blonde jokes… 😛 😛 😛 😛

there's thought for food!!!

26. Guria says:

Hey Nightwing

Woefully lacking in scientific facts?? :O

Buddy, you didn't say A Thing about the “scientific” facts!!! 😀

27. Guria says:

Aditya

A true THANKS to you for being my Reader. You are in all probability the only one gets what I wrote!! 😀
    Simple enjoyment! 🙂
    A non-insecure, non-defensive and confident man!! 😀

Cheers, G. ^_^

28. Nightwing says:

@GURIA-yeah coz the statements you made…and the statements i made about the statements you made are just judgements…a person's opinions,….those points you gave can be proved wrong….so can the statements i made…ahhh what the hell!!!nice post anyways….enjoyed reading it!!

29. waaa was for this “So are women less smart? YES.” 😦 (waaaa was me crying) 😀

30. Guria says:

Nightwing!

The statements were just that statements (as called in Grammar), my observations and NOT scientific facts! 😀
    If they are converted into facts, you will read it in the papers before/instead of my blog. 😛

Ashwini

Girl, that was sarcasm to say, of course, we have to exist as less smart than our full potential to co-exist!!

Now this comment is going get me another barrage of reprimands from sensitive men. 😀

Clarification: Only that comment was written to inmply that. For the sake of the FUN post!

Cheers, Guria. ^_^

31. hahaha.. waiting for the followup post on this.. 🙂
    “Now this comment is going get me another barrage of reprimands from sensitive men. :D” lollll

32. Guria says:

I already have that follow-up ready, will be adding it to the same post soon. But it's not funny!
    *Lowering expectations*
    LOL

33. Hey Sreya

You really need to read my post

“The God's Masterpiece”

Go to my blog…..under the
    “Must Read These By Indian Pundit” section u will find

“The God's Masterpiece” post….READ IT

34. However, i am wondering about another fact.

The post is named “Thinking Out Loud”

How can Sreya Think “Loudly”??????

As far as i know….thats beyond human capability……..

Maybe she makes noise while thinking……….

LOL

35. but this post itself was tooooo funny gal :))) loved it.. you are the queen of sarcasm 🙂 waiting for the next dosage of humor 😀

36. Guria says:

I read that post of yours IP, long back. And I'll tell you what I told Aditya-

A non-insecure, non-defensive and confident man, without self-doubt!! 😀

37. Guria says:

Ashwini called me “the queen of sarcasm”! Yipee, something good came out of this post! Can't believe it, after all, till now I had been running helter-skelter putting out fires! 😀
    Thanks, gal! 🙂

38. Guria says:

Indian Pundit

When you forget how to think, then suddenly start thinking one day, the wheels in your brain make that “GRRR” sound, for being put to use after so long! That's Thinking Out Loud!
    Don't worry it will happen to you too, you will know it then for sure. 😀

Aargh! Not brains again!!

39. Neha says:

make a new post…don't edit this one, cos many wont read the same un u know… 😀

40. Guria says:

Thanks Neha

I was debating about that! 🙂
    By the way could you gimme your email, I wanted to show you the addition, and take your advice if it needs any changes. 😛

41. Samadrita says:

You go girl!
    Loved your post.(duh of course I will..with me being a feminist and all :P)
    Btw I read somewhere that recent studies are showing women are becoming more assertive,gaining ground on their male counterparts…or in other words they're becoming more like men(?)I've noticed that myself.I think there's a whole role-reversal thing going on in here.And another survey has revealed more men than women agree on the fact that there will be a future with women being the stronger sex.
    Lesser number of neurones or not…women rule! 😀

42. Guria says:

Yo Sammy!

I am glad you finally read this. One reason I wrote this post, was with you on my mind. You are a very very sweet girl, and with a very good heart. Wait for my follow-up post, you'll understand why. You'll agree with me even more. I wrote this for a reason and the reason isn't the eternal War! 😛

43. Shankar says:

Yeah..completely agree.. with less grey matter women compete with men and mostly they are better than men in whatever they do…If they have equal amount of grey matter contents…?? Men are no match to women..

But there is other way of looking at this…I am not justifying this is correct…Considering venky's comment…thinking from engineers point of view…My law says

the amount of grey matter is directly proportional to the amount of distraction you have…

So if women are given equal number of grey matter… They would also have equal amount of distraction as men… and thereby the efficiency in them is reduced… ha…ha.. So thereby leaving men and women in same state…

So my law concludes women can perform better because they have lesser grey matter than men on an average..

no offence..ok…

44. Guria says:

Cool one, Shankar!

At least some one is trying to think scientifically!! 😀

45. Shruti says:

CONGRATS GURIA!!!!!

46. HaRy!! says:

now thats real interesting observation….like said…is this some random thinking of yurs or yu google'd a lot of stuff like Vishnu's blog says 😀 !! anyways…luvd the last bit yu hav mentioned abt yur love man !!…nice as usual..cya around

47. Hey sreya…
    Congrats on winning blog a ton , this month.. You rock girl!!!
    You haven't said anything about my comment on this one yet!!

48. Guria says:

Thank you Shruti and Raji!!

BACK TO THIS POST:

Hey, Raji

I am very sorry I didn't reply earlier 😛

Actually, I have a reason why I wrote this post which comes in my next short post. Probably the same reason (do not divulge) why you took up that topic to write.

I am glad for the facts, the white matter thing I remembered as soon as I read your comment. Thanks for the additions. I think I'll make a whole other post on that. Only woman, with the word “man” nowhere. 😀

And I second you on the last two lines you wrote, they are damn important.

This is not to hurt anyone but to prove the point of sreya and myself..

Again wait for the next post, okay and save your comments for a while! 😀

Love, G. 🙂

49. Guria says:

Hey Hary!, I didn't have to Google this. This happens to be my subject, what I work on. So it was random thoughts only. Honest. 😀
    And thanks for putting importance to the last para and enjoying the post, what it was actually meant for! LOL!