10 things I have done that my gender is not supposed to do…..
- I am not married even though I am on the wrong side of 21 (or is it 18?)
- I have pursued higher studies even after passing school to be a professional in my chosen field.
- I have a job, that is, I earn.
- I wear jeans with shirts/t-shirts more than I wear sarees/salwar-kameezes.
- I don’t know how to sew.
- I don’t cook.
- My parents and relatives (well, a few) were genuinely happy when I was born
- I have and give opinions.
- I am independent.
- Me, as a child (read: daughter) to my parents, is enough.
Okay, I was being sarcastic here. If you didn’t get it, don’t bother.
So as Sinners Against Gender Stereotypes (SAGS), ten un-feminine, pro-masculine things about me:
2. I hate watching serials, but will even watch the repeats on the sports channels. I am a football fanatic. I love action movies best, also scary movies and lots of gore.
3. I love the concept of cooking but cannot cook. I treat cooking as an art. Hence, I can cook only gourmet dishes, and not regular ones. Like a typical male chef?
4. The most un-ladylike proclivity I have (I try not to) is to swear any one’s head off and start fist-fights when I get irritated or some one/thing really irks me. Nothing to be proud of… publicly. But privately, now that’s a different story.
5. Till a certain age I refused to be acknowledged as a girl, would wear only shorts and T-shirts, no earrings so that people would actually mistake me for a cute looking boy. Chalk it up to the fact that I was the first girl to be born in the family after a long time and all my older brothers’ influence.
6. I never played with dolls.The first time I was ever presented with one, (at that time the height of the doll was equal to mine) I broke of it’s leg and went to bat with it.
7. The thing is I still love to climb up poles and trees, and anything tall and sturdy enough. But that makes me more of a monkey than just the opposite gender.
8. I did play cricket but the point is included here as even today, I play that sport better than a lot of men. Football, I am not so good but I can still hold my own. Badminton, tennis, table-tennis, not thought so much to be a man’s sport is it? So, not included here.
9. I still belong to an all-boys group. Actually, most of the them forget half the time that I am a girl. I get along better with them, as I understand how they think better, thanks to my childhood spent with my brothers and their hoodlum friends. Of course, this is applicable only when there are no crushes involved.
10. I hate anything to do with fashion. I love to dress well, but not to shop or follow trends. I, literally hate shopping. A few, infalliable items in my wardrobe suffice. Oh, and I loathe the colour pink!
Now to tag 12 people.… I have chosen 12 people who, according to me, will have very interesting 10 (if not more) things to tell us – AD, Vipul, Karthik, Sammy, Nesquarx, Niveditha, Yellow Tulip, Vidhu, HaRy, Sree, Sid, The Fool.